Red Flag of the Week

Published by | 16 Comments | ,

Foot Care

You’d think this one would go without saying, but apparently not.  Real conversation from last week:

Me: How was it?!  Tell me everything!!

Jody: (back from a blind date): Um…it was good. We went to dinner and had good conversation. He’s really nice (interrupting herself) I’m sorry!! He had these awful, long yellow toenails!!

Me: gasp, hand covers mouth

Jody: I know!! I tried so hard to ignore them but I couldn’t! I just stared at them all night!

Good hygiene is a non-negotiable, especially while dating.   Treat it or cover it. Only two options, folks.  You are making a first impression and setting a tone for the evening.  It’s like when you see a spider from your bed at night and suddenly everything feel itchy.  When I see an untreated fungus in plain sight, everything feels icky. Not good.

**Disclaimer: Red flags are not always deal breakers.  They mean to serve as a point in which you should stop and ask yourself, “Does this signify a deeper problem?”  Red flags are also limited to things people choose to do, not things in which they have no control over.

Tags: , , , , ,

16 responses to “Red Flag of the Week”

1. jenni says:

Lol. That is a good one. Poor guy. He was probably hot (temperature hot) and wanted to wear sandals but has a fungus issue and fungus is never good to cover bc it can feel very uncomfortable and make your feet even more hot! What a dilemma! But I am with you, cover those suckers!! especially on the first date!

2. CR says:

I’m so glad I’m married. I’m grossed out just thinking about this poor guy’s feet. Dating is a pain in the A!!!!

3. Mike says:

Are you sure the nails were not painted?

4. Michael says:

Sometimes you have bad feet and other “hygiene” problems and there is nothing you can do about it. And it sucks when that happens because then it moves from being annoying to borderline depressing. Especially when trying to date women because it isn’t like this crap isn’t making me self-consious enough. Not sure if I agree with this one.

But I also read somewhere once that flames were another red flag too.

• :( Funny thing, I switched it from flames b/c I was afraid of hurting the feelings of any guys with flame tattoos (permanent). Don’t feel bad about feet or any other thing of that nature. Once you know a person, insecurities come out. I’d say just wear close toed shoes on a first date. Girls cover up, hike up, and hide all kinds of things they’d love to change on a first date;)

• Michael says:

Funny that was your reason for leaving out flames because, if anything, that would be more of red flag. Sure you have flames on your car but on your body? Seriously? Like for on your body for as long as you live?

5. Once again, you had me laughing out loud! So true. I could not agree more.

6. Becky says:

Bad feet and/or teeth are definite deal breakers for me!

7. tram says:

You had me laughing all night! Do you think he would be insulted if she suggested/included a mani/pedi on their second date??? Assuming there will be one, considering they did have good conversation and he is nice guy, right?…Poor guy, what was he thinking?!?!:)

• yay! Thank you!! A pedi date is a sly way to get that in!! As for this couple, there was no second date:( Maybe he’ll find a nice girl who prefers to be a little more natural herself:)