Mouth in the Dust

Published by | 14 Comments | ,
52dd6260acc2b3381c09910461f3746a
Good morning.
Mondays…Ugh.
Between the items I didn’t get to on my weekend to-do list, and the ones I already know I’ll miss or mess up this week, I feel frazzled. On my commute, I tell myself I’ll  do better and this week: I won’t skip workouts, neglect friends and family, and fail at writing. All my planning berating only reminds me just how behind I’m starting off today.
There’s a picture of the person I want to be in my head and she takes a lot of time, effort, and work. (She of course makes it look effortless) She has time for everyone in her life and for herself. If she only gets up earlier, tries a little harder, and learns from her mistakes, she can be real.
Today, as I exited the freeway and parked in front of my office, I remembered a verse someone read in church yesterday that I wanted to look up. I figured it would be a good idea to start there before doing anything else. I opened my computer and looked up Lamentations 3:20-29
“Surely my soul remembers, and is bowed down within me.
This I recall to my mind, therefore I have hope.
The Lord’s lovingkindnesses indeed never cease, for His compassions never fail.
They are new every morning; great is Your faithfulness.
‘The Lord is my portion,’ says my soul, ‘Therefore I have hope in Him.’
The Lord is good to those who wait for Him, to the person who seeks Him.
It is good that he waits silently for the salvation of the Lord.
It is good for a man that he should bear the yoke in his youth.
Let him sit alone and be silent since He has laid it on him. Let him put his mouth in the dust, perhaps there is hope.”
Here’s what stood out to me this morning-
-His lovingkindness and compassion never fail. They are new every morning.
Every Monday. Every day, I get to start over and He isn’t disappointed or frustrated with me and my shortcomings from yesterday. He looks at me with kindness, no matter how unkind I am to myself.
-The Lord is my portion. All the stuff I think I have to do and achieve to secure the life I want are not what I am actually sustained by. He is my portion and He’ll give me what I need to do. Bonus- He’s portioned controlled. If I take on only what He’s asking, I won’t have more or less than what I need.
-Wait, Seek, Be Silent, Mouth in the dust. I love that image! Mouth in the dust. It’s like the writer is shouting “JUST STOP AlREADY AND BE QUIET!”  People like me need that:) Why is it so hard to just stop? Why do I start ever week thinking I can get to everything if I rush? If I just wait, seek, be silent, and literally put my big overused mouth to the dust, He’ll help me handle the things I’m trying to control. Then, and only then, do I have the hope being the person I believe He wants me to be.
Ahhhh….That’s better. Monday. Mine feels a little more manageable. Hope yours does, too.
XOXO
Cindy
Image by Lyrics And Life

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , ,

14 Responses to “Mouth in the Dust”

1. Alice says:

Thank you Cindy! You made my Monday better….I’m afraid you learned the rushing & procrastination from me! And the If I rush I can get it done…..I know that one too well and the “doneness” becomes less than adequate.

• cindyannjohnson says:

Thanks Mom!! Great word- inadequate. That’s what it feels like. I get my writing from you, too:)

2. Becky says:

WOW! This was exactly what I needed to read today. The person in your head is very similar to the one in mine. After a busy Saturday, I did nothing on Sunday so this morning I woke up and told myself “Grab your gym shoes and make yourself go to the gym after work, get all your work done on time, and then come home and do all the things you should have done yesterday, tonight” Starting the day off stressful and crazy. I love your break down of this verse, and to sum it all up:

“If I just wait, seek, be silent, and literally put my big overused mouth to the dust, He’ll help me handle the things I’m trying to control. Then, and only then, do I have the hope being the person I believe He wants me to be.”

This is already helping me today, thanks for the reminder Cindy!

• cindyannjohnson says:

Hi Becky!! You’re welcome!! And thank you for commenting. Means a ton and makes me feel like I’m not the only one out there:) Becky’s verse yesterday encouraged me. Glad I could pay it forward to you:) Hope the rest of your week goes well..and I should go to the gym today, too;)

3. Maria says:

I was feeling completely overwhelmed and then I read this. Thank you Cindy

• cindyannjohnson says:

I’m sorry you were feeling overwhelmed… you have a lot on your plate. Very glad my words could help even in the slightest of ways. Thanks, Maria!!<3

4. Your words are exactly what I needed to hear today. So thankful for the gifts God has given you and the way you faithfully use them. They are feeding my soul. Love you friend.

• cindyannjohnson says:

Thank you, Mel!! YOUR words and gifts are always what I need. Love you dearly, friend! Hang in there for the brighter days ahead <3

5. Alecia says:

Proper perspectve of God, proper perspective of self. Sounds like a good place to start on a Monday morning. (Maybe it was Monday when Jeremiah wrote this:) And I love that you “excited” the freeway, which sounds like way more fun than exiting it! (Aren’t typos a hoot?)

6. Alyssa F says:

Good Reminder Cindy! To just be patience and quiet. I’m always going and just want to fix or rush things. But things take time. THANK YOU! Love your writing.

• cindyannjohnson says:

Thanks, Alyssa!! I’m with you- I think I’ll feel better if I rush and get it done…when in fact, I’ll feel better and get more done if I take time to pause and listen… Thanks for reading!!

7. jbairj says: